Tuesday 6 March 2007

Good news!

Ok, I finally have some actual news about some actual progress!

I scored a lead role in an amatuer short film called "Masked Man". I get to die - twice! (one death is a dream). That's shooting towards the end of March. If nothing else, it'll be a decent bit of acting to put on my showreel.

~~~~~~~~

I'm a bit excited about this one - I have a casting this week for extra work on a pretty big film in Sydney. Yay! As I said ages ago I was resisting doing extra stuff but this is one of Australia's biggest upcoming films, and plus, I need to start doing pretty much anything to get some paid work. Cross all your fingers and toes for me because this would be an awesome opportunity to experience a big-budget film set in action.

I still don't have an agent so I was very lucky to get a casting. I emailed the casting guy directly and hassled him, politely of course, a few times for information. Just call me Miss Assertive. If they like me they're going to refer me to one of the agencies they deal with. Keep those fingers and toes crossed!

~~~~~~~~

I went to a meeting last night of a "Working Actor's Group" at my old drama college (Wesley Institute in Drummoyne). There was an agent there I was keen to meet, Elvis Joseph. The organiser, my gorgeous friend Sarah, and I were the only ones to turn up but we managed to talk with Elvis for almost 3 hours about marketing, headshots, CVs, agencies, the current state of film in Sydney, and Christian film which Elvis is currently researching. A lot of it was very helpful and I got some good feedback on my current headshot (which is great because I'm getting new ones done very soon).

Sarah and I had a bit of a play in front of a camera, seeing which was our "best side" and the ways different angles look. I reckon my right three-quarters (halfway between front-on and profile) looks best. But overall I was a bit shocked. The camera really does add 10 pounds, as they say, and I felt really fat and ugly - especially compared to waify thin Sarah. Normally I'm quite happy with how I look, but I have been trying to lose weight and I have about 10kg to go to my "ideal weight". Hopefully the camera will like me more (or I'll like myself on camera more!) then. It was good motivation though - I dragged out the old aerobics DVD this morning and did two workouts today. Watch this space for the return of the old skinnier me!

4 comments:

Mr B said...

Oh Yay thats fantastic news !! Fingers and toes crossed for you !

And you so don't need to lose weight!
:-)

Anonymous said...

That's great and awesome news Sumara! Well done on the lead role, and the best of luck with casting! Sounds like you have been really busy with everything! I'm glad you're starting to have much more progress! Yay!

I don't think you need to lose weight either, you look great as you are! I can understand the 'camera adds 10 pounds' thing though. Whenever I see someone from TV in real life, I'm always amazed at how different they look. Best of luck with the exercising and goal of your ideal weight though! You can do it!

Sumara said...

Tee hee, thanks girls. I appreciate the votes of confidence. But I really will feel better when I'm back to my old weight again.

Connor said...

Congratulations and Good Luck!