Wednesday 20 September 2006

Extraordinary Gentlemen

I watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen last night with Noel... it has one line in it about a pirate so apparently it qualified as movie of choice for Talk Like a Pirate Day. ;-)

I really enjoyed it. Even though Sean Connery gives me the irrits, I did manage to watch all the way through without growling "learn how to speak!" at the screen. (I know, I know, he's a legend that guy, a great actor, I mean no disrespect) As I said to Noel it was a story that could have turned out just stupid, but it didn't quite, despite some odd moments.

As each new character was revealed I either laughed or groaned. My favourite was the revealing of who "M" is, I had a great laugh with that one. :-) (eerr, you have to see it, and you have to know a little bit about plenty of other stories too... I don't want to give it away)

Overall, there was nothing remarkably spectacular about the plot or acting (although I did love Stuart Townsend as Dorian Gray - his ability to communicate with his eyes and body reminded me of Depp) , and the special effects were only special in the "my mummy says I'm special" kinda way. However, it was well put together, I guess, because I felt taken along on a great, fun adventure with some really cool people. I was intrigued. It felt a bit Indiana-Jones-ish.

Meanwhile, today I'm hanging round waiting for the director of the "ghost-woman" film to get back to me. Auditions are supposed to be tonight and he hasn't answered my (two) emails. Perhaps I'll check if there's a phone number and properly hassle him...